Children are warmly welcomed at Crossroads, not only because Jesus said, “Let the children come to me” but also because they have spiritual gifts and wisdom to share.
Crossroads Children’s Ministry is dedicated to:
- providing spiritual nurture for children
- supporting parents in their primary role as providers of Christian formation (we are quite aware that 45 minutes on a Sunday morning is nowhere near ample time to offer a deep engagement with the Christian tradition)
- trusting the power of Sacred story, Christian community and the strong symbols of worship to deepen the spiritual life of the children in our midst
- providing high standards of care for our children because we treasure children as image bearers of God.
Parents or care-givers are welcome to accompany their child or children in the Godly Play area or in the Nursery on Sunday mornings or to remain in the sanctuary for the worship service. Parents are requested to come directly to the same area immediately following worship so that their child(ren) can be released into their care. All of our Children & Youth Ministry leaders have a current criminal record check on file.
Sunday Crossroads Children’s Ministry
Nursery: Newborn to 4-years-old
Sunday School: 4-years-old to Grade 5
JAM Youth: Grade 6 and up
We do not currently use a packaged curriculum for our Sunday School program, but sew together a variety of components including a story-telling and reflection practice from “Godly Play”. Combining this with regular participation in worship, we find the children of Crossroads United Church are quite clear that this is their church and that they know God and Jesus love them as they are, while calling them to offer their own gifts and skills to the world.
Special Events for Children at Crossroads
- Celebrating the changing Christian seasons
- Easter programs (Palm Sunday Parade, Easter Egg Hunt)
- Advent activities
- Christmas Pageant
- Children’s Sabbath (when the children lead Sunday Worship)
- Imagine! A Children’s Retreat (held in February with other United Church congregations)
- KIDVENTURE Summer Day Camp (held in July)
Our Crossroads children lead the ongoing relationship with Mama Orphans Children’s Home in Busia, Kenya.
What is KIDVENTURE at Crossroads?
KidVenture is typically a day camp-style program that engages children (ages 3–12) in crafts, music, drama, games, storytelling, science explorations, a community outreach project, and provides lots of opportunities for new friendships and fun!
We have planned for all KidVenture activities to be on-site at the church, primarily outdoors. Three small groups (ten children with two leaders) will rotate through activities including storytelling, gardening, crafts, games and drumming. The small groups will gather briefly before starting activities, for a brief rest and snack mid-morning, and again at the conclusion of each day with a sharing circle to name a highlight of their time together.
KidVenture 2022 will run Monday to Friday from July 11–15 beginning at 9:00 a.m. and finishing at noon. As we explore of theme of “Living God’s Way”, we will be exploring stories of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount, as found in Matthew 5-7.
KidVenture 2022 has been designed to comply with all current provincial pandemic health and safety measures with the flexibility to adjust as needed.
Click on the following link to open the 2022 KidVenture Registration Form PDF
For more information about Children’s Ministry at Crossroads
Please contact our Minister of Children and Youth, Gabrielle McLarty (778) 593-1043 x 304