Children are warmly welcomed at Crossroads, not only because Jesus said, “Let the children come to me” but also because they have spiritual gifts and wisdom to share.
Crossroads Children’s Ministry is dedicated to:
- providing spiritual nurture for children
- supporting parents in their primary role as providers of Christian formation (we are quite aware that 45 minutes on a Sunday morning is nowhere near ample time to offer a deep engagement with the Christian tradition)
- trusting the power of Sacred story, Christian community and the strong symbols of worship to deepen the spiritual life of the children in our midst
- providing high standards of care for our children because we treasure children as image bearers of God.
Parents or care-givers are welcome to accompany their child or children in the Godly Play area or in the Nursery on Sunday mornings or to remain in the sanctuary for the worship service. Parents are requested to come directly to the same area immediately following worship so that their child(ren) can be released into their care. All of our Children & Youth Ministry leaders have a current criminal record check on file.
Sunday Crossroads Children’s Ministry
Nursery: Newborn to 4-years-old
Sunday School: 4-years-old to Grade 5
JAM Youth: Grade 6 and up
We do not currently use a packaged curriculum for our Sunday School program, but sew together a variety of components including a story-telling and reflection practice from “Godly Play”. Combining this with regular participation in worship, we find the children of Crossroads United Church are quite clear that this is their church and that they know God and Jesus love them as they are, while calling them to offer their own gifts and skills to the world.
Special Events for Children at Crossroads:
- Celebrating the changing Christian seasons
- Easter programs (Palm Sunday Parade, Easter Egg Hunt)
- Advent activities
- Christmas Pageant
- Children’s Sabbath (when the children lead Sunday Worship)
- Imagine! A Children’s Retreat (held in February with other United Church congregations)
- KIDVENTURE Summer Day Camp (held in July)
Our Crossroads children lead the ongoing relationship with Mama Orphans Children’s Home in Busia, Kenya.
2018 KIDVENTURE REGISTRATION is NOW OPEN!
Please complete the 2018 KIDVENTURE Registration Form (PDF) and mail or drop off with payment to the Crossroads United Church office.
What is KIDVENTURE at Crossroads?
KIDVENTURE is a day camp-style program that engages children (ages 3–12) in crafts, music, drama, games, storytelling, science explorations, a community outreach project and provides lots of opportunities for new friendships and fun! This year it takes place July 9–13, 2018 (Monday to Friday) from 9:00 a.m. to noon. All are welcome!
Please read KIDVENTURE Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) for more information.
Youth Leaders in Training at KIDVENTURE
Youth aged 13–18 are welcome to volunteer as a KIDVENTURE Leader In Training (LIT) where they receive mentorship and valuable experience. This year’s KIDVENTURE summer week for children aged 3 to 12 will run July 9–13, 2018.
Please contact Gabrielle McLarty now for more information about being a 2018 LIT.
For more information about Children’s Ministry at Crossroads
Please contact our Minister of Children and Youth, Gabrielle McLarty (778) 593-1043 x 304