Our family arrived in Delta on March 13, 2018, and the work of welcoming and orienting them to life here has begun!
A Joyous Welcome!
Many people have expressed interest in volunteering to support their settlement here in Canada. If you are interested in volunteering with our project, please email Rev. Cari. You will be asked to undertake a volunteer training session as well as provide a Criminal Records check.
Mobilizing the North Delta and Surrey communities with hope.
This partnership of North Delta Churches (ND Evangelical Free Church, St. Cuthbert Anglican Church, Trinity Lutheran Church and Crossroads United Church) came together in response to the Syrian Refugee crisis of the fall of 2015.
Coordinated by a Steering Committee of members from all four churches, along with other community members, this group aims to assist at least one displaced Syrian family through a private sponsorship process.
Additional expected outcomes from this work include:
- deepened cooperation among the participating churches
- increased intercultural understanding
- strengthened community engagement
- education regarding Syrian culture and the settlement process
- recruitment of a network of volunteers within North Delta
The values guiding this project include respect, unconditional love, curiosity, sensitivity and service to our new neighbours and the community of North Delta. The Steering Committee brings self-discipline, boldness, integrity and transparency of communication to our process.
To date, this project has initiated:
- An information session with Maggie Hosgood of BC Conference’s Refugee Working Unit (The United Church of Canada) on October 29, 2015.
- An event called “Meet Your Muslim Neighbours” held at Trinity Lutheran Church on Thursday, March 3, 2016 with Mufti Aasim Rashid.
- The decision to sponsor a Syrian refugee family of four, currently sheltering in Lebanon, whose family members live in our neighbourhood.
- A community-supported fundraiser in cooperation with many partners at Alberto & Co Hair Care on Sunday, April 25, 2016.
- Gathering a list of interested community members as our volunteer base and offering a first training event for our volunteers regarding Syrian culture with Sireen El-Nashar of SUCCESS on July 7, 2016 at the North Delta Evangelical Free Church.
- Completion of the sponsorship application and submission to the Sponsorship Agreement Holder (The United Church of Canada) in September, 2016.
- Engagement with several Syrian Government Assisted Refugee (GAR) families living in our community, including providing rides to English classes and medical appointments.
- Collection and sharing of a “harvest” of fresh fruit, vegetables, and some kitchen staples with Syrian GAR families at Thanksgiving, 2016.
- Hosting a fall 2017 “thank you” event for our dedicated volunteers with our GAR families at St. Cuthbert Anglican.